Skip to main content

Anger & Acceptance


April 9th 2017

That is when it happened

It being that I was assaulted

Two men assaulted me

Two United States Marines

Assaulted.

We use that word because it is so much easier to say than the “other” word

Raped.

April 9th 2017 I was raped.

It has been two years since then and I still have not healed. There are times when I really tried to get better and other times when I completely gave up. I have seen more than one counselor, never going back for a second time because I didn’t want to talk it out. I didn’t want to have someone tell me that they understand what I am going through or that they can relate because they too were sexually assaulted.

They can’t relate.

No two people would have the same reaction to such a traumatic event.

I didn’t want to hear that it happens to a lot of women because that just discouraged me even more.  Why isn’t this as big of a deal as it should be?

I wouldn’t wish what I went through on anyone. Not even the two men who did it to me.

The rape itself was horrible enough but the aftermath of the rape was far worse than I could have imagined.

I looked at my broken, bruised, naked body in the mirror the weeks after and I didn’t even recognize the women staring back at me. I had been reduced down to nothing. Just a worthless piece of meat that men could objectify and use as they pleased and then just toss to the side like it was nothing.

Who was I? Better yet, Who am I now?

I would say that in the “5 stages of healing” I am at stage 5. Acceptance.

Now, that doesn’t mean that I am not still angry, because I am.
It does however mean that I am ready to write it out and move on from this.


I have an amazing support team. My mom in particular is my rock and without her I don’t think I would have made it out alive.
I don’t mean suicide.
In all of this I have never once contemplated taking my own life. However, I have given a lot of thought to just wasting the rest of it, lying down in my bed and never getting back up. Just withering away in self-pity.

She wouldn’t let me do that.

She thinks that I am so strong and brave but what she doesn’t know is that it is because of her that I am brave and it is through her that I get my strength.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Injustice

I was raped between the hours of 3am-5am on April 9 th 2017. At around 1 pm my friend took me to the emergency room. I was released from the emergency room at 8pm. Seven hours of telling nurses, doctors and police officers about what happened. All the details over and over again. I had to have a Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence (SAFE) kit done. The whole process is humiliating and time consuming. Mine took 5 hours. The SAFE KIT doesn’t feel very safe. It starts with you standing in the middle of the room on a piece of butcher paper and completely stripping your clothes to be put in a bag and sealed for evidence. You then put on a hospital gown and they take samples of everything you can imagine.   (They failed to take a blood sample, which is one of the steps but I’ll get to that in another post) Due to some of the circumstances of my rape, one of the things I had to do was lay naked on the hospital bed while one nurse held a backlight to my body and the ...

A Selfish Endeavor

I am new to Blogging. To be completely honest I am new to writing as well. That being said, this blog is for me. I am using it as an outlet for my thoughts about my life so far. Particularly the last two years. If you read this and can relate or benefit, then that is great. I am happy to help you through whatever it is that you are going through by pouring out my heart into this keyboard and sharing it with the world. However, this is a completely selfish endeavor and I don’t want to be given credit where it isn’t due. I am broken. I am just trying to find a way to restore what was shattered. So, why name my blog “A Stamped Passport” when it essentially has nothing to do with traveling? I was 12 years old when I created my Facebook account. The picture you see of the girl in the sand is me. I chose that picture because I remember everything about that day. I felt so beautiful and so worthy. It is a good reminder, every time I see this blog...